Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Carrot Soup

It has been too long since I made carrot soup. I think it is the perfect soup. It is easy to make and versatile. There are many possibilities for variations so you have the option to get rid of some things that need to be eaten. Today I noticed that I had some cilantro that shouldn't go another day and a half used can of coconut milk. 
   

The trick to most soups is to start with an onion and some good olive oil or butter. Use a heavy bottomed pot on very low heat. I turn on the pot with the oil in it when I am cutting the onion. It helps me resist to turn the heat up and the pot is being warmed through gradually and evenly. When throwing in the onion stir it around to make sure that the onions are well coated in oil and let them cook slowly. If they get color in less then 5 minutes, the heat was too high. They should be cooked for about 10 minutes in low heat until translucent. Again, to stop myself from turning up the heat, I use this time to chop the carrots. 


The carrots should be sauteed in the oil with the onions until they start to get tender. That releases more flavor than when they get added to the broth. When it is time to add the stock, throw in all other solids you plan to use. In my case the ginger, I used a cheese cloth pouch to put my ginger in, so I could fish it out later. If you are adding fresh soft herbs like cilantro add them in the last 10 minutes. When seasoning with Salt and pepper always think about the broth you are using. Taste first, take a spoonful, add some salt to the spoon and taste to see if it needs more.

I like to blend my soups, its just a personal preference. If you intend to do the same you have the option of using water instead of stock as the flavor of the vegetables will be stronger.


About the stock. I used chicken stock. I always have pint sized jars in the freezer. If you are buying chicken stock, please stop. The home made stuff is soooo much better. Ill do a post on that soon.


A basic carrot soup doesnt need anything more then oil, onion carrots, stock or water, salt and pepper. But you can never go wrong with some fresh ginger, chervil, tarragon, chili peppers, sour cream, orange, garlic, curry, coconut milk, cinnamon, honey or mint.


I try not to cling to exact amounts that much. I admit in baking it can be essential, but it not for carrot soup. 

I used about

1/4 olive oil
1 onion
4 large carrots
4 Cups of chicken stock
1/2 can of coconut milk
1/4 cilantro
salt and pepper
 

No comments:

Post a Comment