Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Peanut Butter

 
If someone gave me a thousand empty jars, I bet I would fill them. Even though I live in a small New York apartment with the typical New York kitchen. I only have myself and one other person to feed, I still run out of jars.


Peanut butter is made out of toasted peanuts. Toasting them yourself is no big deal. A dry cake dish will do. Toast them for 6-8 minutes on 350F moving them around every couple of minutes. When buying peanuts, make sure they are not seasoned. They should preferably be raw. I got a bag of dry toasted peanuts in the shell, so I had to skip the toasting process. 



 Give your peanuts a quick rinse and put them in the food processor. For each cup of nuts put a pinch of salt and about a tablespoon of oil. Peanut oil if you have it. Sunflower oil will do the trick as well.



Start the food processor on medium speed and work your way up. Check from time to time if you need to scrape the sides of the bowl. The paste will get creamier and softer. To get a really smooth paste you'll need about 10 minutes. 


No preservatives are used, so you should keep your homemade peanut butter in the fridge and use it within a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment