Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Chocolate Spread

With my last two posts focusing on bread, you might start to get how much I love bread. I crave bread every day. Sometimes I like to eat a savory sandwich but most of the time I like to eat something sweet. My absolute favorite is chocolate spread. I used to buy jars of nutella, then I started looking for verities with a decent grade of chocolate and less junk in them like preservatives. But then I noticed that it is one of the easiest things to make. Basically you just need to melt some chocolate in a bowl over boiling water, add butter and let it melt in there. Take it of the heat and stir in some hazelnut butter. 

By doing it yourself you have the utmost control over the ingredients. For my friend who is lactose intolerant I have made versions with coconut oil and almond butter. This time I used vegetable shortening, which I have to admit I am not a big fan of, since I read about how it is made, but I'm also not a big fan of throwing tings in the garbage, so here you go. 

There are also a lot of different nut butters you can use, look for one that has nothing but nuts and oil. There are too many verities that use emulsifiers and preservatives. Or you can make your own nut butter, I will do a post on that soon. 

The only tricky part is to get the ratios right so when it cools down it will solidify just enough to have a nice spreadable consistency. I got the ratios out of a very cute little book called the basics

Ingredients:

10 oz bittersweet chocolate

1 Cup and 4 tablespoons of butter (if you are using shortening add 2 tablespoons of water)

1 lb of Nut butter. Here I used a nut butter a fellow blogger received as a gift: Honey roasted cashew butter. Since I used a dark chocolate, the honey gives it some extra sweetness. 

Sugar, if you decide to use it, let it melt with the chocolate and don't use more then 1/3 cup. 

a pinch of salt







No comments:

Post a Comment