Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Crab salad in the real sense of the word





Hello again,

My local seafood merchant sells these boiled crab legs. They have been asking for my attention for a while now, but since I am not a big mayonnaise eater (except for with my fries, and I wouldn't be a real belgian if I didn't), I decided to make a salad with crab instead. 








I added what I had on hand, which is often a combination of salad ingredients that happen to be available at the veggie market. Sprouts are great for spring. Radishes are still available and give a nice bit of bitterness and crunch. Always avocado, I think there is no substitute for the richness and creaminess an avocado can add to a salad. And I need only half as much dressing for full satisfaction. I also added cucumber, because it is fresh and makes the salad much lighter. I do leave the seeds in there. I like the hidden bite of water, and if you eat the salad right away, there should be no danger of getting a pool of cucumber juice at the bottom of your bowl. Do dress your greens separately before adding them to your bowl, if you try to get them coated in dressing inside a bowl with heavy ingredients, your greens will wilt and bruise under the pressure. I also like to finish a salad with some toasted nuts and seeds. This time I used flax and sesame.







Note on the crab leg, put it in a ziplock bag and use a hammer. be careful not to add any bits of shel to your salad. you teeth will appreciate your concern.  

Note for the dressing: add to a small jar, a bit of whole grain mustard, salt, pepper, lemon or lime juice from one small fruit and a 1/3 cup of nice cold pressed olive oil. Shake well, and serve. 

Does anyone have a crabby salad they would like to share?

Liza xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment